Avocado should always be served cold, right? Wrong! Once you taste this warm baked avocado, eggs and bacon combo it will change your mind about how you enjoy the nutrient-packed creamy fruit. With all the healthy fats and vitamins of avocado, plus protein-rich eggs and a little salty bacon for a treat, this delightful brunch dish will set you up for the whole day.
Preparation time: 25 minutes
2 medium ripe avocados
4 small free range eggs
4 rashers bacon
sea salt and fresh cracked black pepper, to taste
- Pre-heat grill to the maximum temperature and place bacon rashers on a tray under the grill. Cook for 3 minutes on each side until crispy, then set aside to cool. Switch from grill setting to oven at 220C.
- Carefully halve your avocados and remove the seed. If the seed is small, scoop out enough extra avocado around where the seed was to fit a small egg. Pack avocado halves in a small baking dish, as level as possible (rest the avocado against the edge of the dish to support it, or nest in scrunched up aluminium foil).
- One at a time, crack the eggs into a small cup then gently tip into each avocado half in the space left by the seed. Season with salt and fresh cracked black pepper.
- Gently place the baking dish in oven and cook for about 15 minutes, or until your eggs are cooked to your liking.
- Remove avocados from oven and crumbled the cooked bacon on top to serve.
- Serve with a side of toasted sourdough to spread the contents of the avocado shell on to, a handful of rocket leaves and optional hot sriracha sauce.