Do you think mushroom sauce sounds fiddly and difficult, best left up to steak restaurant chefs? Not our Best Ever Mushroom Sauce! You can whip up this creamy sauce with button and Swiss brown mushrooms in just 25 minutes to transform an ordinary steak and mash dinner into something extra special.
PSSSST – Don’t forget to enter our Win with Mushrooms Competiton until July 20, 2017. You could win an Apple Ipad Air 2 or one of eight mushroom gift packs, with each purchase of 250g or more of mushrooms in a single transaction, at participating Farmer Jack’s stores. Enter here.
Makes: 2 1/2 cups
Preparation time: 25 mins
2 tbsp olive oil
1 large brown onion, finely chopped
200g cup mushrooms, trimmed, quartered
200g Swiss brown mushrooms, trimmed, quartered
2 tbps plain flour
1 1/2 cups beef stock
2/3 cup thickened cream
1 tsp Dijon mustard
2 tbsp chopped flat-leaf parsley
- Heat butter and oil together in a large frying pan over medium heat. Add onion and cook, stirring occasionally, for 5 minutes, or until translucent. Add mushrooms and cook, stirring occasionally for a further 5 minutes, or until softened. Sprinkle over flour and cook for a further minute, stirring.
- Add stock, stirring constantly until mixture comes to a boil. Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer uncovered for 5 minutes. Stir in cream and mustard and simmer, stirring occasionally, for a further 8-10 minutes, or until thickened slightly.
- Remove from heat. Stir in parsley and season to taste with sea salt and freshly cracked black pepper.
- Serve 1/2 cup over a grilled steak on a bed of mashed potatoes.
- Grill 100g chicken tenderloins and add to one cup of hot mushroom sauce. Serve over steamed rice.
Mushroom sauce will last for up to two days, stored in an airtight container in the fridge.