Preparation time: 15 minutes
500 g chicken mince
1 tbsp peanut oil
3cm piece fresh ginger
1 stalk lemongrass (white part only)
2 fresh red chillies
2 cloves garlic
Juice of 2 limes
1 tbsp sesame oil
1 tbsp soy sauce
1 tbsp fish sauce
1 tbsp brown sugar
1 red onion, thinly sliced
Handful of fresh bean shoots
Handful of fresh mint leaves
Handful of coriander leaves
1 small head of lettuce (cos, iceburg or gourmet), washed
- Peel the ginger and the garlic cloves. De-seed the chillies. Finely dice together with the lemongrass stalk.
- Heat the peanut oil in wok over high heat. Add the chicken mince and cook, breaking up any lumps, until mince starts to brown.
- Stir the chopped lemongrass, chilli, garlic and ginger into the mince and cook for a further 2 minutes or until aromatic. Remove from heat.
- In a jar, combine the lime juice, soy sauce, fish sauce and sugar and shake well. Toss the dressing with the onion, beansprouts and herbs through the mince.
- Place in a serving bowl and garnish with extra mint. Serve with fresh lettuce leaves.
Stretch this chicken larb salad further with the addition of rice vermicelli noodles or fragrant steamed rice.