Winner winner, Chicken parmigiana and Spaghetti dinner! Yes – we know that’s a mouthful, but so is this dinner. Tender chicken breast halves are coated with crispy, tasty parmesan breadcrumbs and fried until golden, but it’s the next bit where the magic happens. The chicken cutlets are placed on top of a robust tomato-based pasta sauce and then popped under the grill to melt a tasty combination of mozzarella and more parmesan on top. The final step is to serve it up on a bed of spaghetti – cooked al dente, of course! It’s the perfect meal for a hungry family.
Preparation: 30 minutes
1/4 cup plain flour
1/2 cup grated and 1/4 cup shredded Parmesan cheese
1/2 cup dry breadcrumbs
1 tsp dried oregano
1 tbsp milk
2 chicken breasts, halved horizontally
3 tbsp olive oil
1 brown onion, finely diced
1 clove garlic, crushed
700g bottle tomato passata
handful of fresh basil leaves, torn
4 slices mozzarella cheese
1 packet spaghetti
salt and pepper to season
- Place flour in shallow dish and season with salt and pepper. In a second dish, whisk the egg together with the milk until smooth. In a third dish, mix breadcrumbs, grated parmesan and dried oregano. Line up the dishes in order with a clean plate at the end.
- Take a chicken breast half and dip both sides into the flour mix, shaking off excess. Dip in the egg mixture until covered on both sides, then allow excess to drip free. Finally, dip in the breadcrumb mixture coating on both sides and set aside on clean plate. Repeat with the three other pieces of chicken.
- Heat 2 tablespoons oil in a large frying pan over medium heat. Cook chicken halves for 4 to 5 minutes each side or until golden and set aside on a clean plate.
- In the same pan, scrape out any breadcrumbs that have fallen off the chicken then heat the remaining oil. Cook the onion, stirring, until translucent (about 5 minutes). Add garlic and cook for a further 1 minute. Stir in passata and simmer for 3 to 4 minutes or until sauce starts to thicken. Stir through basil leaves and season to taste.
- Preheat grill on medium-high and bring a saucepan of water for the spaghetti to the boil.
- Spoon the tomato sauce in the middle of a baking tray lined with baking paper, reserving about ½ a cup of sauce. Lay the chicken pieces side by side on top of the sauce and spoon the remaining tomato mixture over them. Top each piece of chicken with a slice of mozzarella and sprinkle shredded parmesan over the top.
- Place under chicken under grill for about 5 minutes. Remove the chicken from the oven when the cheese is melted and golden and keep warm.
- Prepare the spaghetti according to packet directions and serve into bowls topped with the tomato and chicken topping. Add extra parmesan as desired!