On a busy week night, who doesn’t love a quick, one-pot meal to feed the family? This filling Mediterranean-inspired Chicken, red capsicum and feta bake starts on the stove top and finishes in the oven. It features chicken thighs baked in stock with risoni, the rice shaped pasta. Red capsicum and tomatoes are the key vegetables in this dish, but you could easily add zucchini and eggplant to make this meal stretch even further.
Preparation time: 50 minutes
500g chicken thighs, cut in half
4 garlic cloves, crushed
1 lemon – juice and zest
3 tbsp olive oil
1 small onion, diced
1 red capsicum, sliced into strips
2 ½ cups chicken stock
400g can diced tomatoes
2 tbsp tomato paste
1 cup risoni
Salt and pepper
100g crumbled feta cheese
Fresh parsley leaves
- Combine 1 tbsp olive oil with the lemon zest, half the lemon juice, and half the crushed garlic in a bowl and mix in the chicken thighs. Set aside for marinate for 20 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 180C
- Heat 1 tbsp olive oil in a large, deep cast iron frying pan or dutch oven over high heat.
- Cook chicken thighs until lightly golden on all sides (about 5 minutes). Remove from pan and turn heat down to medium high.
- Add 1 tbsp olive oil. Saute remaining garlic and diced onion for 1 minute, then add capsicum strips. Saute for a further 2 minutes.
- Add stock, the can of tomatoes and tomato paste.
- Add risoni and mix in well, then top with chicken. Bring to a simmer, then transfer to the oven.
- Bake for 20 minutes, until risoni is al dente.
- Remove from oven. Drizzle with the remaining lemon juice and scatter feta and parsley leaves over. Season with salt and pepper to taste and serve.