Pork Belly is an affordable cut of meat with melt-in-the-mouth results when cooked the right way. No wonder it features on menus everywhere! The secret to crispy crackling is a dry rind and a salt rub – on this occasion, flavoured with Chinese five spice. Try this Chinese Pork Belly with Noodles and dipping sauce for a lip smacking meal you can make at home.
Preparation time: 1hr 30 minutes
1 kg pork belly
1 tbsp canola oil
1 tsp Chinese five spice powder
1-2 tbsp Sea salt
1 packet glass or vermicelli noodles
Iceberg lettuce, to serve
4 tbsp soy sauce
4cm ginger, grated
1 tbsp sweet chilli sauce
2 tbsp water
1 spring onion, finely chopped
1 red chilli, finely sliced (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 190°C. Pat the pork belly dry with a paper towel and using a sharp knife, score the rind diagonally every 1cm.
- Rub the pork belly all over with oil then dust with Chinese five spice powder and sprinkle with sea salt. Place the pork belly in a roasting pan, skin side up, and roast for 1 hour. Increase temperature to 220°C and roast for a further 20 minutes for crispy skin.
- Remove from oven when cooked and rest for 10 minutes.
- For the dipping sauce, mix all ingredients together. Prepare glass/vermicelli noodles according to packed directions.
- Serve sliced pork belly on a bed of lettuce and noodles, with dipping sauce on the side.