This pretty jewelled cauliflower “couscous” salad uses finely processed cauliflower in place of couscous, flavoured with sweet and exotic fruits and nuts. For the carb or gluten-conscious, cauliflower offers a great alternative with bonus points for adding beneficial cruciferous vegetables to your diet.
Preparation time: 12 minutes
1 head cauliflower
1/2 red onion
1/3 cup dried cranberries
1 pomegranate, seeded
1/3 cup pistachio nut kernels, finely chopped
1/3 cup pine nuts
handful parsley leaves, chopped
4 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
1 lemon (juice and zest)
1 large clove garlic (crushed)
1 tsp sea salt
black pepper to taste
- Toast the pine nuts in a non-stick frying pan for 5 minutes until lightly browned.
- Whisk the dressing ingredients together and season to taste.
- Trim Cauliflower florets from the core and discard the core. Separate florets into smaller clumps process in food processor until the texture resembles that of couscous. Tip into a large salad bowl.
- Mix the cranberries, pomegranate seeds, pistachios, pine nuts and parsley into the cauliflower, reserving a small amount of each.
- Stir dressing through the ‘couscous’ and scatter remaining fruit, nuts and herbs on top to serve.