Preparation time: 8 hours (includes marinating time)
1 cup plain yoghurt
Juice of half a lemon
1 tbsp olive oil
4 spring onions finely chopped
4 large garlic cloves
1/4 cup chopped fresh mint
2 tbsp chopped fresh thyme
Grated zest of 1 lemon
Cracked black pepper
Sea salt to taste
2kg butterflied leg of lamb
Vegetable oil cooking spray
- Crush 3 of the garlic cloves and mix with the yoghurt, lemon juice, olive oil, spring onions, chopped herbs, lemon zest and seasoning.
- Rub remaining whole garlic clove all over the lamb. Place the lamb in an oven proof dish and coat thoroughly with the marinade. Cover and refrigerate for 6 hours.
- Remove the meat from the refrigerator 45 minutes before cooking and let it come to room temperature. Scrape the excess marinade from the lamb, and season both sides with salt and pepper. Run 3 or 4 skewers lengthwise through lamb about 5cm apart.
- Heat your BBQ grill on high then reduce heat to medium. Spray the grill rack with vegetable oil cooking spray. Cook the lamb for 5 minutes on each side.
- Reduce the heat to medium-low and cook for a further 15-20 minutes with the hood down, or until cooked to your preference. When pressed with your finger, medium cooked lamb should have a springy but firm texture and be moderately juicy, while well-cooked lamb will feel firmer to the touch.
- Remove lamb from heat, cover with foil and rest for 15 minutes before removing skewers and slicing.
Serve with a crisp cos lettuce salad and lemon-dressed potatoes.