Lemon turmeric grilled chicken breasts are cooked with the skin on, retaining moisture and flavour and saving your chicken breasts from becoming tough and dry. Weighing down the breasts with a second frying pan helps them cook faster and more evenly, while still remaining juicy.
Preparation time: 1.5 hr (including marinating time)
4 chicken breast pieces, skin on
1/4 cup Olive Oil
2 garlic cloves, crushed
juice of 1 lemon
1 lemon extra, in 4 thick slices
2 teaspoons turmeric
2 tsp sea salt
black pepper to taste
2 tbsp vegetable oil
1 tbsp finely chopped Rosemary, to garnish
- Rinse chicken breasts in cold water and pat dry with kitchen paper.
- Combine the oil, garlic, lemon juice, turmeric, salt and pepper and rub over over the chicken. Cover and marinate in the fridge for an hour.
- Heat a large, heavy based frying pan over medium-high heat. Set aside a second cast-iron or heavy frying pan that fits just inside the first one.
- When the first pan is very hot, add the vegetable oil. When the oil is hot, put the chicken breasts in the pan, skin side down. Arrange lemon slices around them.
- Cover the breasts with a piece of aluminum foil and place the second frying pan on top of the foil to weigh down the breasts.
- Reduce heat to medium and cook, without moving the chicken, until the skin is crispy and golden brown (approximately 5 minutes).
- Remove the top pan and foil and turn the chicken pieces and lemon slices over. Continue to cook until the juices run clear when the thickest part of the breast is pierced with a knife, or around 5 minutes longer.
- Serve the chicken garnished with fresh chopped rosemary and the grilled lemon slices, together with a green salad.