In 1973, renowned WA horticulturalist John Cripps crossed the Golden Delicious and Lady Williams apples to create a new apple, Cripps Pink. Now marketed around the world as the Pink Lady, this delicious local invention is Australia’s most popular apple. Known for their attractive pink colouring, fizzy mouth feel, sweetness and crunch, Pink Lady apples have a high sugar content which also makes them perfect for cooking. Try them out in this impressive home baked Pink Lady Apple Pie.
Preparation time: 3 1/2 hours
2 cups plain flour
1/3 cup icing sugar
145g butter, cubed
2-3 tablespoons iced water
8 peeled, cored and thinly sliced Pink Lady Apples
3/4 cup brown sugar
1 tsp Cinnamon
Juice of half a lemon
2 tbsp cornflour
1/2 tsp salt
1 egg, beaten
2 tbsp granulated sugar
- Add the flour, sugar and cubes of butter to your food processor and pulse until the mixture has a breadcrumb consistency.
- With the processor on, slowly add iced water until the dough comes together in a smooth ball.
- Lightly knead then wrap in plastic wrap and refrigerate for 30 minutes. Preheat oven to 190C.
- Remove pastry from fridge and roll out between two sheets of baking paper to 3mm thickness. Cut pastry base to size to line a greased 25cm pie dish and roll the remaining pastry into a ball and wrap. Place pastry into pie dish and prick all over with a fork. Line with foil and weigh down with pie weights or dried beans. Cook for 15 minutes then.
- Remove from oven, take out the weights and foil lining and allow to cool.
- Mix all filling ingredients in a large bowl. Place filling inside the pie base and roll out the remaining pastry to cover (you may have to brush the edges of the pie base with water to help it stick). Crimp edges together.
- Cut vents in the top crust to let steam escape. Brush lid of pie with beaten egg and sprinkle with sugar. Chill in freezer for 15 minutes to ensure a flaky pastry.
- Bake at 190C for 45 minutes or until golden. Cool for at least an hour before serving to allow filling to cool.
Serve warm or cool with vanilla ice cream or triple cream.