Are you looking for comfort food? Pork meatballs and spaghetti is a dish that certainly fits the bill. Tender and tasty pork meatballs are cooked in a rich tomato sauce then served with lashings of freshly grated parmesan cheese. Fresh basil leaves are the finishing touch. This recipe has all the elements to make it a family classic.
Preparation time: 40 minutes
500g pork mince
4 slices of fresh white bread, torn
75g parmesan cheese, roughly chopped
1 clove garlic
1/2 cup Italian parsley leaves, washed and dried
2 tbsp olive oil
700g jar tomato passata
2 cups chicken stock
1 pkt spaghetti or fettucine
Handful fresh basil leaves, torn
Fresh grated parmesan to serve
- In a food processor, pulse the white bread, parmesan pieces, garlic clove and parsley leaves until the mixture resembles fine breadcrumbs.
- Mix breadcrumb mixture gently with pork mince and egg until evenly mixed. Roll the mixture into ping-pong sized balls and place on a plate.
- Heat olive oil in a large non-stick frying pan over a medium-high heat, then add meatballs. Cook the meatballs in one or two batches, shaking the frypan to turn them, until cooked on the outside, about 5-7 minutes.
- With all the meatballs back in the frying pan, pour the passata and stock on top and mix gently to combine. Reduce heat to medium and cook for 20 minutes until sauce has reduced and meatballs have cooked through.
- While the meatballs are cooking, bring a large pot of water to the boil. Cook pasta according to packet instructions, drain.
- Serve pasta into a bowl and spoon meatballs and sauce over the top. Top with torn basil leaves and generous amounts of grated parmesan.