Preparation time: 1 hour and 30 minutes
4 red capsicums
4 ripe tomatoes
1 small red onion
2 garlic cloves, crushed
½ cup chopped basil
½ cup olive oil
2 tbsp red wine vinegar
Salt and pepper to season
3 tbsp pine nuts
½ cup Kalamata olives
- Heat oven grill and place capsicums on a tray on the top rack. Grill, turning occasionally, until all sides are charred. Using tongs, place the capsicums in a heatproof bowl and tightly seal with plastic wrap and leave to cool.
- Prepare a saucepan of boiling water and a bowl of iced water next to the stovetop. Score the base of the tomatoes in a cross shape and plunge into the saucepan. Remove the tomatoes after 30 seconds using a slotted spoon, and place straight into the iced water After the tomatoes have cooled, remove to a cutting board. Grasp the skin at the points where it has been scored and gently peel away. Discard skin, cut the tomatoes in half and scoop out the seeds, then cut remaining tomato flesh into strips.
- Remove the skin and seeds from the cooled capsicum and cut into strips.
- Cut the red onion into thin wedges and combine with the capsicum and tomato strips, crushed garlic and chopped basil (retain 1 tbsp of basil for garnish).
- Whisk together olive oil, red wine vinegar, salt and pepper and add to salad, mixing well. Set aside to marinate for at least one hour.
- In a non stick fry pan over medium heat, gently cook the pine nuts, stirring frequently, for about 4 minutes. Remove from heat.
- Top the salad with olives, crumbled feta, pine nuts and extra basil to garnish.
- Serve with grilled lamb cutlets
- Add to pita bread for a delicious lunch