Preparation time: 40 minutes
2 tbsp butter
1 leek, white and light green part chopped
1 bay leaf
½ tsp allspice
4 medium royal blue potatoes, peeled and cubed
4 cups fish stock
4 140g salmon filets, skin removed and cut into small chunks
1 tbsp cornflour
¼ cup fresh dill or Italian parsley, finely chopped
salt and pepper
lemon wedges to serve
- Heat the butter in a large saucepan and saute the leek until softened. Add the allspice, bayleaf and potato and coat in the leak mixture.
- Add the fish stock and cook covered over medium heat until the potatoes are tender.
- Add the salmon pieces and simmer for five minutes. Do not stir the soup to keep the salmon intact. Once the salmon is cooked, remove cubes from soup with a slotted spoon and cover to keep warm. Scoop out the bay leaf and discard.
- Add the cream to the soup and stir. Mix cornflour with 1 tbsp of cold water to make a smooth paste. Add to the soup and simmer until thickened.
- Remove soup from heat and season with salt and pepper to taste. Divide salmon pieces between four bowls and ladle the soup over.
- Top with chopped dill or parsley and serve with a wedge of lemon and crusty bread.