Serves: 8 servings
Preparation time: 3hr 15mins (includes marinating)
2.5 kg boneless leg of lamb
6 garlic cloves
8 anchovy fillets, drained
zest of 1 lemon (finely grated)
¼ cup olive oil
¼ cup rosemary leaves, chopped
2 tsp sea salt
¾ tsp cracked black pepper
- In a mortar and pestle, mash garlic and anchovies to a paste and mix in olive oil, lemon zest and rosemary leaves.
- Place the lamb in a baking tray lined with baking paper. Make several small slits in the meat with a sharp knife, then rub marinade over entire surface, pushing some into the slits. Marinate lamb at room temperature for 30 minutes, then season with salt and pepper.
- Preheat oven to 130 degrees (110 fan forced). Roast lamb for 2 hours, basting every so often with juices.
- Turn up oven to 250C (230 fan forced) and cook for another 15 minutes, or until skin is golden and crispy.
- Remove from oven and rest for 30 minutes before slicing.