A quick and easy meal, the hearty Italian omelette that forms this sweet potato bacon and feta frittata is delicious hot and cold and can be modified to use a whole range of ingredients.
Preparation time: 35 minutes
2 medium sweet potatoes, peeled and diced into large cubes
2 tbsp olive oil
Sea salt and freshly ground pepper
4 rindless bacon rashers, diced
1 brown onion, finely diced
1 clove garlic, finely diced
100g feta, crumbled
2 tbsp thickened cream
Few sprigs fresh thyme, leaves picked
- Preheat oven grill to medium high. Toss sweet potato in 1 tbsp of the olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Place pieces on a baking tray lined with baking paper and grill for 15 minutes or until golden, turning as needed.
- Meanwhile, heat the remaining olive oil in a non-stick, oven proof frying pan or cast iron skillet. Cook the bacon and onion over medium heat, stirring, for 5 minutes then add in garlic and cook for further 3 minutes until mixture is lightly browned.
- When the sweet potato is ready, remove from under grill (leaving grill on) and add to frying pan, distributing all ingredients evenly.
- Lightly beat the eggs in a bowl and mix in the cream, crumbled feta and thyme leaves. Pour mixture over the ingredients in the frying pan.
- Cook for over medium-low heat for 10 minutes or until the mixture is just set (it may still be a little wobbly in the centre).
- Place the frying pan back under the grill and cook for 5 minutes until surface of frittata is golden brown. Remove from under grill and loosen the edges before slicing and serving.
Serve with a green salad for your evening meal, or load onto crusty bread for a hearty brunch dish.