Healthy, fast, affordable and delicious – what’s not to love about these zucchini fritters with a zesty sour cream sauce, whipped up in less than half an hour to feed the family? This great little recipe is super versatile too – try substituting fresh corn kernels or grated carrot for some of the zucchini to mix up the flavour. Zucchini fritters can be served as a main meal with a salad, for breakfast with eggs, smoked salmon or bacon, and are also great for packing for lunch.
Preparation time: 20 minutes
3 large zucchini, grated
3 spring onions, sliced
2/3 cup plain flour
1/2 cup grated parmesan
1/4 cup Italian parsley, chopped
2 tbsp olive oil
2 eggs, beaten
Salt and pepper to season
1 cup sour cream
2 tbsp lemon juice
Zest of ½ a lemon, finely grated
1 teaspoon honey
Salt to season
- Lightly salt grated zucchini and place it in a colander over a bowl for 10 minutes. After the zucchini has rested, gently squeeze out as much liquid as you can with your hand, then transfer zucchini to a large bowl.
- Mix all other ingredients into zucchini, until well combined.
- Place a large frying pan on medium heat and add half the olive oil. Line a large plate with paper towels ready to drain the cooked fritters.
- Once oil is hot, scoop large serving spoons of the mixture into the frying pan, 5cm apart. Press lightly on the fritter with the back of the spoon to flatten.
- Cook fritters for about 2 minutes each side, or until golden brown. Transfer cooked fritters to the paper towel lined plate to drain and repeat with the remaining mixture and oil.
- For the sauce, stir the first four ingredients together, then salt to taste.
- Serve fritters hot with sauce on the side, accompanied by a fresh green salad
- Top with a poached egg and a side of smoked salmon or bacon for a weekend breakfast
- Also make a great lunch box snack