Put those brown bananas to good use.
Banana bread is one of those classic comfort food recipes that fills the whole house with warmth and makes everything better. The secret lies in its simplicity and letting a few ingredients do the heavy lifting. This banana bread recipe is moist, delicious, and perfect for the little one’s school lunch.
There’s no need for a mixer and the clean-up is easy too!
- 2 to 3 medium very ripe bananas, peeled and mashed
- 1/3 cup butter, melted
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1 pinch salt
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 large egg, beaten
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
Prep time: 10 mins
Cooking time: 60 mins
This recipe calls for an 8- x 4-inch loaf pan. If you are baking in an 8 1/2- x 4 1/2-inch pan, bake for 47 to 57 minutes. If baking in a 9- x 5-inch pan, bake for 45 to 55 minutes. Note that the larger pan size will produce a flatter loaf.
1. Preheat oven to 180°c and butter an 8×4 inch loaf pan.
2. In a large bowl stir the melted butter and mashed bananas. Then mix in baking soda and salt.
3. Stir in the sugar, egg, and vanilla extract before then mixing in the flour.
4. Pour the batter into your prepared loaf pan and bake for about 55 to 65 minutes or until a toothpick or wooden skewer inserted into the centre comes out clean. If the outside of the loaf is browned but the centre is still wet, loosely tent the loaf with foil and continue baking until the loaf is fully baked.
5. Remove from oven and let cool in the pan for a few minutes, before removing it and letting it cool completely. Slice and serve. (A bread knife helps to make slices that aren’t crumbly.)
Tip 1 : Wrapped well, the banana bread will keep at room temperature for 4 days. For longer storage, refrigerate the loaf up to 5 days, or freeze it.