Looking for a showstopper dessert?
While this desert takes a bit of time and planning, this tart is as delicious as it is beautiful! It’s made with thinly sliced apples tossed in sugar and cinnamon then layered attractively into pastry and a cream filling. To finish off the tart we add an apricot glaze. Providing the caramelised apples, a sheen and a bit of tartness.
• 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
• 2 tbsp sugar
• 1/2 tsp salt
• 1/2 cup unsalted butter, cold, cut into bits
• 1 large egg yolk
• Ice-cold water
• 3 large egg yolks
• 3 to 4 tbsp sugar
• 1 tbsp all-purpose flour
• 1 tbsp cornstarch
• 1 cup whole milk
• 1 tsp vanilla extract
• 3 large or 4 small apples
• 1/2 cup sugar
• 1/2 tsp cinnamon
• 1 tbsp lemon juice, optional
• 1 tbsp unsalted butter
• 1/4 cup apricot jam
• 1 tablespoon lemon juice or water
Prep time: 70 mins – Cool Down 5 hours
Cooking time: 1 hour
- 1. Combine flour (1 ½ cups), sugar (2 tbsp) and salt (1 ½ tsp) in a large bowl. Then add the butter (1/2 cup) and work it into the flour mixture with your fingers until the butter is into small pieces.
2. Add 1 egg yolk and mix until combined well.
3. Using a fork stir in ice water, 1 tbsp at a time until the dough can be gathered together and pressed into a ball.
4. Shape and flatten the dough into a smooth disc shape, wrap in plastic and refrigerate for 2 hours or overnight.
5. Wisk together 3 egg yolks and sugar (3-4 tbsp) in a large bowl. Then add in the flour (1 tbsp) and cornstarch and whisk until smooth.
6. In a saucepan, heat milk until almost boiling, then slowly and gradually whisk the milk into the egg mixture.
7. Strain the mixture back into the saucepan. Bring the mixture to a boil, whisking or stirring constantly, until thickened. Continue cooking for another half minute while stirring, then remove from the heat. Whisk in the vanilla extract.
8. Lay a piece of plastic over the pastry cream and chill it in the fridge or over an ice bath- string from time to time.
9. Preheat oven 200°c
10. Peel, core and thinly slice the apples.
11. Place the slice apples in a large bowl and toss gently with sugar (1/2 cup) and cinnamon. If apples start to brown add lemon juice (1tbsp)
12. Roll out the dough and cover your tart pan (250mm), trim excess dough.
13. Given the pastry cream a good whisk to loosen and smooth it out before spreading across the bottom of the pastry shell.
14. Arrange apple slices in a pattern over the pastry cream and dot the apples with tiny bits of butter (1 tbsp).
15. Wrap tart pan with aluminium around the edges to prevent the crust from burning.
16. Bake tart for 40 minutes.
17. Remove foil and continue baking for another 10 minutes, or until the apples and crust are golden in colour.
18. Remove tart and allow to cool.
19. While tart is still warm, heat the apricot jam with lemon juice (1 tbsp) until boiling.
20. Strain mixture, then apply the glaze over the apples.
21. Refrigerate the tart until completely cooled. Then enjoy.