Whisk away the weekend with this tatsy dessert!
Take a break from the Christmas madness and bake yourself some delicious Christmas cookies. So easy and fun, that even the kids will love it!
Our Christmas cookies are a simple vanilla sugar cookie cut out in Christmas shapes and decorated with colourful festive frosting. They taste like a shortbread cookie only less buttery or crumply. This allows the cookies to hold their shape perfectly!
Make these Christmas cookies for Santa, your family or even as a gift. And don’t worry. This is a big batch. Nobody will notice if one or two… or even 5 go missing!
- 1 cup of butter
- 1 cup of caster sugar
- 4 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 egg
- 3 cups of plain flour
- ¾ tsp baking powder
- ¾ tsp salt
- 125g Icing sugar
Prep time: 25 mins
Cooking time: 10 mins
- Preheat oven to 180℃ on fan force. Line 2 baking trays with parchment paper
- Beat butter and sugar in bowl until creamy
- Add egg, 2 1/2 tsp vanilla extract and beat until completely combined
- Add flour, baking powder and salt. Start slowly mixing, then beat until flour is combined – it will be clumpy
- Dust work surface with flour. Then roll dough out and use cookie cutters to press out the shapes.
- Bake for 10 minutes, swapping trays half way through. Bake till the surface is pale golden and the edges are just beginning to turn light golden
- Allow cookies to cool completely, before decorating
- Place icing sugar, 15ml of water and 1 ½ tsp of vanilla extract into a medium mixing bowl
- Mix together until thick enough to pipe details but thin enough to spread smoothly on surface of cookie. ( add more icing sugar to thicken it or more water to thin it)
- Separate into smaller bowls and add colour dye then place into piping bag
- Pipe decorations on cookies as desired