This quick and easy cauliflower cheese recipe is ready in 30 minutes. Its cauliflower bake, smothered in a creamy cheese sauce that’s popped in the oven until bubbly and golden. It’s the perfect addition to your next midweek dinner or Sunday roast.
• 1 large cauliflower (leaves cut off), broken into pieces
• 500ml milk
• 4 tbsp flour
• 50g butter
• 400g cheddar cheese, grated
• 50g breadcrumbs
Prep time: 5 mins
Cooking time: 30 mins
1. Bring a large saucepan of water to the boil, then add 1 large cauliflower, broken into pieces, and cook for 10-15 minutes or until soft.
2. Drain the cauliflower, then tip into an ovenproof dish. Heat oven to 180°c.
3. Put the saucepan back on the heat and add 500ml milk, 4 tbsp flour and 50g butter.
4. Keep whisking fast as the butter melts and the mixture comes to the boil – the flour will disappear, and the sauce will begin to thicken. Whisk for 2 mins while the sauce bubbles and becomes nice and thick.
5. Add in 300g of grated cheddar cheese, stir until cheese is melted.
6. Pour sauce over the cauliflower. Scatter over the remaining cheese, and breadcrumbs.
7. Put in the oven and bake for 5-10 minutes or until sauce is bubbling and the topping is crisp and golden.