This easy Chicken Cordon Bleu recipe is quick to prepare, and can be fried, baked, or even air fried. Its ooey-gooey cheese, savory ham, and crunchy breadcrumb coating, make it seriously delicious. It pairs perfectly with our creamy Dijon mustard, mash potato and seasonal vegetables.
Chicken Cordon Bleu
• 4 boneless skinless chicken breasts
• 1 teaspoon salt
• 1 teaspoon black pepper
• 8 thin slices ham
• 8 thin slices Swiss cheese
• 1/2 cup flour
• 1 large egg
• 1 tablespoon water
• 1 cup plain breadcrumbs
• 1/2 cup vegetable oil, for frying
Creamy Dijon Mustard Sauce (optional)
• 2 tablespoons butter
• 1 tablespoon cornstarch
• 1 cup milk
• 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
• 1 tablespoon brown sugar
• 1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
Prep time: 10 mins
Cooking time: 10-30 mins
1. Working one at a time, place chicken breast between two pieces of parchment paper or cling wrap. Use a mallet to pound chicken to 1/4-inch thickness. Season both sides with salt and pepper.
2. Layer 2 slices of ham and 2 slices of Swiss cheese on each chicken breast. Roll up tightly.
3. Spread flour onto one plate, and breadcrumbs out onto another. In a shallow bowl, whisk together egg with 1 tablespoon water.
4. Roll stuffed chicken in flour to coat. Dip in egg mixture, and then roll in breadcrumbs to coat.
Heat 1/2 cup of vegetable oil in a large heavy skillet to 180°c. Place chicken in oil and cook for 4 to 5 minutes per side, until chicken is golden brown and cooked all the way through. Monitor the temperature of the oil and adjust heat as necessary to maintain near 180°c.
Preheat oven to 230°c and lightly grease a 9×13 pan or baking sheet.
Place the prepared chicken onto the pan. Spray the tops lightly with nonstick cooking spray. Bake in the preheated oven for 25 to 30 minutes until chicken is golden brown and cooked all the way through.
Preheat your air fryer to 200°C.
Place the prepared chicken into the air fryer basket. Spray the tops lightly with nonstick cooking spray or olive oil spray.
Cook in the preheated air fryer for 15-20 minutes until chicken is golden brown and cooked all the way through.
Creamy Dijon Mustard Sauce (Optional)
1. Melt the butter in a small saucepan over medium high heat.
2. Whisk in cornstarch until all specks of white are absorbed.
3. Pour in milk and whisk in Dijon mustard, brown sugar, and cider vinegar. Continue to whisk until sauce is thickened, which should only take a couple of minutes.
4. Serve over cooked chicken cordon bleu.