Fresh ocean caught crayfish is an Aussie favourite and do we have the perfect recipe just for that! This crayfish mornay is fast, easy, and cheesy… making it basically heaven on a plate. It’s perfect for special occasion or a romantic dinner for two.
- 1 crayfish
- 1 ¼ cups milk
- 1 onion, sliced
- 5 peppercorns
- 2 tbsp plain flour
- Pinch of nutmeg
- 2 tbsp cream
- ½ cup grated cheese
- 30g butter
- White pepper and salt, to season
Prep time: 10 mins
Cooking time: 15 mins
- Using a sharp knife cut crayfish in half lengthways. Lift the meat from the tail and body of the cray. Crack the legs and prise the meat from them. Remove the intestinal vein and soft body matter and discard. Cut meat into 2 cm pieces, cover and refrigerate. Wash the shell halves, drain, dry and retain.
- Heat milk, onion, and peppercorns in small pan. Bring to boil. Remove from heat, cover; leave to infuse for 15 minutes. Strain.
- Melt butter in large pan, add flour, stir for 1 minute. Remove from heat; gradually add milk. Whisk until smooth. Cook, whisking over medium heat, until mixture boils and thickens. Season with salt, pepper and nutmeg. Stir in cream.
- Fold lobster meat through the sauce. Divide mixture into shells; sprinkle top with cheese. Place under a preheated grill for 2 minutes or until cheese is melted. Serve.